Moving to a new fulfillment and digital print vendor can offer significant benefits for businesses of all sizes. With advancements in technology and increasing demand for faster and more efficient fulfillment processes, switching to a new provider can help companies stay competitive and meet the evolving needs of their customers. Benefits may include improved order accuracy and speed, more efficient inventory management, cost savings, a higher ROI, enhanced customer service and access to cutting-edge technology and software. Partnering with the right fulfillment and digital print vendor, businesses will streamline their operations, increase profitability and support long-term success.
Five reasons companies choose to transition to a new fulfillment provider: to benefit operations, client satisfaction and bottom line.
1. Poor quality
If your current fulfillment provider is consistently performing poorly, it can negatively impact customer satisfaction and harm your company’s reputation. According to a study by MetaPack, 96% of consumers say that accurate and on-time delivery is a critical factor in their online purchasing decisions, and 78% would be unlikely to shop with a retailer again after a negative delivery experience.
- In 2022, a large online retailer faced significant backlash from customers after its fulfillment provider struggled to keep up with demand during the busy holiday season. Customers reported delayed deliveries and missing items, causing the retailer to issue an apology and offer compensation. This example highlights the importance of choosing a reliable fulfillment provider that can handle high volumes of orders during peak seasons.
2. Limited capabilities
If your organization’s needs and requirements have grown beyond what the current provider can handle, it may be necessary to transition to a provider with the capabilities to support these changes. For example, if you’ve expanded into new markets and need to ship internationally, it may require a provider with more experience and expertise in international shipping. By partnering with a vendor that can handle your evolving needs and provide more specialized services, you can ensure that your organization is well-equipped to meet the demands of the market and remain competitive.
- A fast-growing online retailer selling handmade artisan goods realized that their current provider was unable to keep up with their demand for international shipping. They transitioned to a new provider that had experience with global shipping and they were able to help them expand their reach and increase revenue.
3. High Costs
One of the major advantages of switching to a new provider in the fulfillment and digital print industry is the potential for cost savings. By leveraging modern technology and processes, a new vendor may be able to offer more competitive pricing or better shipping rates, leading to reduced costs for your business. In fact, according to a study by Invesp, 61% of shoppers abandon their carts due to unexpected extra costs such as high shipping fees. By partnering with a vendor that offers more transparent and affordable pricing, you can reduce the likelihood of cart abandonment and increase customer loyalty. In addition to direct cost savings, upgrading to a new vendor can also result in improved efficiency and productivity, leading to indirect cost savings in the long run.
- A financial services company had been using an in-house fulfillment center for years but found it to be costly. They switched to Harte Hanks, an outsourced fulfillment provider, and have since saved money while maintaining high-quality service.
4. Obsolete technology
Outdated technology can pose a significant challenge for companies in the fulfillment and digital print industry. Slow processes, reduced efficiency, and higher costs can hinder their ability to meet the demands of their clients and the market. As a result, many companies in this industry are increasingly looking for new vendors that can offer more modern and effective solutions. Upgrading to a new vendor with advanced technologies, such as automation, personalization and real-time tracking, can provide a strategic advantage and help these companies stay competitive in a rapidly changing market. According to a survey by Software Advice, 71% of companies cite outdated technology as a barrier to effective inventory management.
- A startup selling health and wellness products found that their current fulfillment provider’s outdated technology was causing inefficiencies and slowing down order fulfillment. They transitioned to a new provider that offered real-time inventory tracking and automated order processing, resulting in a more efficient and error-free fulfillment process
5. Inconsistent communication
If there is a lack of communication or transparency from the current provider, it can create frustration and mistrust. According to a survey by Convey, 96% of customers expect proactive communication throughout the delivery process, and 75% say that tracking updates are important to their delivery experience.
- A national home goods retailer received multiple customer complaints about a lack of communication and transparency from their current fulfillment provider. Customers were frustrated with the lack of tracking updates and delayed deliveries. After transitioning to a new provider that prioritized communication and provided real-time tracking updates, the retailer saw an improvement in customer satisfaction and loyalty.
By finding a provider that aligns with your business’s goals and needs, you can improve customer satisfaction, increase revenue and drive growth. At Harte Hanks, we understand the importance of a seamless and efficient fulfillment process, which is why we offer a variety of fulfillment, print and logistics services to help your business succeed. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help take your fulfillment process to the next level.
Please reach out to learn more about our capabilities.
Contact: Sue Coyne • 617.800.4299 • [email protected]
If you have a problem, I want to solve it! As an experienced professional in the digital print and fulfillment industry, I have spent 30 years dedicated to finding solutions for clients’ problems. In my current role as VP Enterprise Solutions at Harte Hanks, I am driven by my passion for working with clients and helping them overcome challenges that allow them to focus on growing their business.